Thursday, December 11, 2008

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENTS

NEW STUDENTS.
Seven new students are starting the course in December: Josephine, Marian, Katherine, Jean-Christophe, Colin, Kaitlin, and Maya. Welcome, and we hope that you will enjoy the course and participate in the blog.

CONGRATULATIONS
Andrea has successfully completed the course: well done!

BLOGGER AWAY!
The blogger (Veronica) will be away between Dec. 5th and Jan. 4th. In her absence, Tamara Renkas (tamaraAT…) will coordinate the blog. Look forward to some holiday specials coming up and keep on participating!

LAST WEEK'S GRAMMAR QUESTION
The team is real happy that they won the game so easy and now the players recover from the party they had thrown afterwards.

1. Subject-verb agreement: In this sentence, “team” is plural; notice the use of the plural pronoun “they” to refer to the team. Change the verb “is” to “are”.
2. Word form: use an adverb to modify an adjective--change “real” to “really”.
3. Word form: use an adverb to modify a verb; “easy” modifies “won”, so change it to “easily”.
4. Verb tense: for something that is occurring at the present time, use the present progressive tense: change “recover” to “are recovering”.
5. Verb tense: the past perfect tense refers to something that happened before another event in the past, but the party happened after the game. For this reason, use the simple past “threw”.
6. Punctuation: When two independent clauses are separated by a coordinating conjunction (and), use a comma before that conjunction.

Next blog: Friday, December 21st

6 comments:

dececcokm said...

Hi, I'm Kayleigh, I'm really excited to start the course.

Dina said...

Hi, I am Dina. I'm very exited to join the course.

Pete said...

Hello, I'm Peter. This is my first online course and I'm excited to take it. I will be a full time college student in September.

James said...

Greetings, I am James and I am looking forward to this course. This is my first course as well.

David S said...

Hi all,

This is David who is hearing impaired. My primary goal is to understanding better of how English is established over the years. Since I use American Sign Language as my firest language, I neesd to understand more about English. Then I can understand better and be able to communicate better at work.

Veronica Baig said...

David: Welcome to the course; I think you're our first ASL student. I hope you enjoy the course, and it would be interesting if you could provide us with some feedback based on your perspective.